Sunday, April 18, 2010

Apple Gets In The Good Books Of Veggies

Vegetarians have a host of animal and vegetarian-friendly iPhone apps to choose from now.
Image source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chanc/ / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0


Being an ardent Ubuntu fan, I have been deeply skeptical of proprietary software firms like Microsoft and even Apple for sometime now. I try to minimise my usage of Microsoft apps simply because I don't agree that they should be allowed to dominate the marketplace (and their software is way too overpriced for developing nations).



My views on Apple were similar, until I first held an iPhone in my hands. As I scrolled the gazillion iPhone apps and zoomed in and out of crisp photos on Flickr, my dislike of Steve Job's money making enterprise dropped by 5 points (on a 10 point scale).


Despite my closeted (oh, who am I kidding here) obvious lust for the iPhone, I've been holding out for something "better" by its rivals.


Now my esteem for Apple has risen by another 2 points because vegetarian iPhone users can now scan and identify if ingredients in a food product are in fact vegetarian. There are also similar scanners for 'halal' and kosher ingredients, according to UK paper The Independent.


Much as I hate to promote an already super-rich company, Apple's sexy smartphone has made the vegetarian scanner possible. It's going be mighty hard to resist the Call Of The iPhone after this....


Update: OpposingViews.com has a list of animal-friendly apps for your iPhone, iTouch or iPad. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment