Monday, April 1, 2013

15-minute Vegetarian Meals

Lately, I haven't been paying much attention to nutrition as I spend around 3 hours a day commuting to and fro for work, which doesn't give me time to prepare my own meals. Since I work in an area of Cyberjaya that is devoid of vegetarian options, it leaves me with only one choice: bringing lunch to work. 

Unfortunately, most Indian meals take ages to prepare. Desperate for more convenient meal recipes, I trawled the Web to locate healthy vegetarian recipes. These are ten of my favourite 15-minute meals (in no particular order):

1. One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

Since kale is not available where I live, I decided to use mustard greens instead, which turned out quite well as it is also crunchy. I also replaced the pine nuts with sunflower seeds to lock in the protein. Check out the original recipe here.


2. Wild Rice Salad

 
Haven't tried this one out yet, but I can imagine it will go well with any type of leftover vegetarian curry. Yummy! 


3. Spicy Falafels

The base ingredients for falafels are chickpeas. Tip: Boil and drain the chickpeas the night before so you're not in a rush the next morning. I like my falafels stuffed into pitas with a salad on the side. 


4.Egyptian Edamame Stew

This stew goes best with couscous, or toasted pita bread.


5. Indian Spiced Tomato Soup

This too tastes fantastic with toasted pitas!


6. Keralan veggie curry with poppadoms, rice and minty yoghurt 

I've gotta hand it to Jamie Oliver, he does know the way to a vegetarian's heart! Check out the recipe here.


7. Sweet and Sour Tofu With Rice Noodles

This one comes from Shape.com, it's actually not bad.


8. Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli

Another healthy recipe from Shape.com.


9. Quinoa Black Bean Burgers

Not bad, not bad at all, this.


10. Vegetarian Paella

Ok so I cheated, this recipe takes more than 15 minutes to prepare, but it is so worth it! Just keep it in the fridge overnight and reheat the next day for lunch.






1 comments:

Beelim Solutions said...

These look thoroughly interesting. I guess I could try some of these, if I had the time and money to experiment with.

Post a Comment