Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why You Shouldn't Take Your Veggie Diet For Granted

Indian yum yums
Vegan diets are just as unhealthy as meat-based ones, if you're not vigilant, say researchers in China.

Over the years, I've received a certain measure of criticism for turning vegetarian (and I've dished out my fair share to the more insensitive among meat-eaters). And I admit that since I've shed my appetite for artery-clogging meat and seafood, I've felt a lot healthier and energetic. 

But lately, I've been indulging in chocolate and desserts once too often, and it wasn't until I read this article that I (metaphorically) screeched to a stop. It seems that like the meat-eaters I was so fond of condemning, I too have been careless with my diet. 

To spare you the extra energy of clicking on the link and reading the entire article, I'll summarise it in a few sentences: Researchers at Zhejiang University in China have discovered that vegans are placing themselves in the path of heart disease. Apparently vegans are often deficient in zinc, iron, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids [which has been found to be essential for a healthy heart]. The researchers also found that vegans also have lower levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and higher blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine, which is associated with a higher risk of heart disease.





0 comments:

Post a Comment